Most females prefer visiting parlors and salons to get their hair colored or highlighted. It is true that salons offer you excellent hair coloring services but there are many ways in which you can get the same finish, perfection and excellent results at home as well. The following are some of the best tips on highlighting and coloring at home.
- The first tip for coloring or highlighting your hair at home is to select that color or shade which is only 2 or 3 times different from your natural color. But if you are looking for a dramatic change in hair color, then you might have to visit a professional hair colorist.
- If this is your first time with hair coloring, then you will first need to perform a strand test. To do this, you will have to choose some hair from the area behind your ear and follow the directions given on the box of the hair color. Wait to see how the color looks like after it has dried. If you have developed a rash on the area of the skin near the hair then do not do the rest of the hair.
- Always make sure you wear an old t-shirt or any other old clothes before coloring or highlighting your hair. Also remember to put some petroleum jelly all around your hair line with the help of a cotton ear bud. This will prevent hair from staining your skin.
- Always use latex gloves which come with your box of hair color before starting to apply it.
- To effectively apply color, start by squeezing a little color on your hairline and then work your way into the hair with the help of your fingertips. Never rub the color into your scalp and first you must apply color on the roots and then move onto the rest of the hair.
- If you are interested in highlighting, then one way to do so is by selecting random hair strands or the other way is to use a rat-tail comb so as to separate out strands. To proceed, put a strand of an aluminum foil under the selected strand and then brush the color on it. After this, fold the foil first lengthwise and then up towards your scalp.
- To avoid color from dripping, always cover it with a plastic cling wrap.
Photo Credit By: en.wikipedia.org