Hair washing is one of daily processes that we follow; but most of the people hardly know the right ways of washing hair. Consequences can be shocking like massive hair loss, dirt accumulation, split ends and even dandruff. Your hair is made up of dead cells and it is only proper nutrition that will give you healthy and shiny tresses. Right hair washing is just the first step to go ahead and this article will give you all the tips and tricks for hair washing.
Wet your Hair with Lukewarm Water
The first step towards hair washing should be wetting your hair with lukewarm water. Never use very hot water for hair washing; the temperature of the water should be relaxing and soothing not scalding.
Take a small amount of your preferred shampoo and lather it on your hand, then apply it gently on the scalp throughout with your fingertips, massage it well into the scalp. You should use all your fingers and rotate them in circular motion within the hair shafts so that each of the strands gets the lather. This will not only remove the dirt but also give you a relaxing massage. Rinse off and repeat the same process once again.
Detangling While Washing
This is a problem for many as if you do not have perfectly straight hair, tangles are bound to happen while washing; do not twist your hair as it will lead to knots. Use a large toothed comb, known as rake comb and move them through the hair while washing. Be gentle because if you tug or pull, it will only lead to hair loss. When the comb is not detangling the knots, use your fingers gently.
This is a very important part of hair washing as if the rinse is not proper and the shampoo is left in the hair, it will lead to dirt accumulation, dandruff and dull looking hair. Make sure you wash your hair properly. Take time for this step.
After washing, conditioning your hair is a MUST. Choose the right conditioner following your hair type. Some shampoos have their own conditioners, which provide the best results. Do not apply the condition on the scalp as it’s not really needed; but apply on each and every hair shaft very well with fingers. Then use a rake comb and gently detangle your hair, this process can be done before also but with condition on the possibility of knots and hair loss reduces significantly. Leave the conditioner on for a while, may be about 6 minutes or so. Make sure the conditioner is washed off very well as it will weigh down your hair and make it look dull and oily if not rinsed properly.
Some Added Tips
- Never use narrow toothed comb while your hair is wet; this will lead to massive hair loss. Rake comb is the ideal product to use while hair washing.
- Check the properties of the conditioner and leave it on the scalp only if it’s a “LEAVE IN” treatment or else, wash off immediately and rinse your hair very well.
- When you lather up the shampoo in your hand, take 1/2 tsp of baking soda for a better shampooing experience.
- Before conditioning, you can apply 1 cup of apple cider vinegar on your hair; it will help to remove the shampoo residue.
- The frequency of shampooing your hair depends on the hair type – oily hair would needs daily shampooing and dry or normal hair can be kept well with 2-3 times weekly shampooing.
- The movements of your fingers should be gentle and in circles, covering each and every part of the scalp – remember you are not washing a rag on the washboard so be gentle!
- If you have coloured your hair, be very careful while buying products. Choose only the colour safe formulas.