While many people are aware of the fact that thyroid causes many side effects such as brain fog, weight gain, fatigue and even lowered body temperature, but most people are not aware of the fact that thyroid causes hair loss as well. Both hypothyroidism and hyperthyroidism can cause your hair to fall and even excessive hair loss.
If you have been experiencing hair loss then this probably means that there is a hormonal imbalance in your body. The following are some common facts about thyroid and hair loss in women:
1. It is a fact that hyperthyroidism and hypothyroidism both can result in hair fall or hair loss. This happens because too much of thyroid hormone results in the thinning of hair leading to hair loss. Infact even if you have too little of thyroid hormones, then too this can result in hair loss.
2. It is important to know that hair loss caused due to thyroid is not permanent in nature. In most cases, hair grows back after the thyroid disorder is cured or treated. Mostly the side effects of thyroid disorder which leads to hair loss in women get relieved within a month or two after the treatment process is over and hair grow back on the scalp.
3. Another important fact related to hair loss and thyroid in women is that 90% of women experience hair loss if they are suffering from thyroid disorder or poor thyroid function and this doesn’t mean that all women suffering from thyroid will have hair fall.
4. Hair loss caused at a time of thyroid may be due to inadequate amount of ferritin which is stored in the form of iron. Ferritin is an important element for healthy hair growth and if this level if not optimal, it may lead to hair loss. So if you have thyroid and if you experience hair fall, then you must get your ferritin levels checked.
Ways to Treat Hair Loss which is caused due to Thyroid
- Hair transplant surgery-this treatment can result in good hair growth on your scalp and regrowth will be visible in most cases.
- Another method to get hair growth back is getting hair weaving done. This adds artificial hair to your existing hair.
- To get fullness of hair on your scalp, you can opt for hairpieces and falls which can be attached under natural hair.
Photo Credit By: lifemartini.com